Thursday, February 7, 2013

what i've been eating

So...what have I been eating? All sorts of deliciousness! This week I made several recipes from the vegan cookbook, Veganomicon, thanks to my amazing baby sister who gave this book to me as a gift over the holidays. I whipped up vegan sloppy joes made with lentils and chili powder, sauteed seitan with mushrooms and spinach, and grilled pineapples and portabellas. The sloppy joes weren't my favorite, but I loved the seitan dish. Although it looks kind of disgusting, seitan is actually a great substitute for meat, not to mention, so much healthier for you. My favorite recipe this week though was by far, the vegan blueberry brownies. These babies were to die for - better than any other brownies I've ever had!

Fudgy Wudgy Blueberry Brownies
Even eating out hasn't been an issue. My boyfriend, Aaron, and I had lunch at a local Ethiopian restaurant last Saturday. I ordered the vegetarian tibs served on Ethiopian bread. This was our first time eating Ethiopian food, and we both enjoyed our dishes. Aaron actually liked my vegetarian tibs over his lamb. I'm still undecided on the Ethiopian bread, but I would certainly try it again. I mean, the place even serves vegan pastries!

Vegetarian tibs served on Ethiopian bread
Let's see, what else...One night Aaron and I ordered Thai from our favorite Thai place. My normal go-to is chicken Pad Thai, and I knew I would have to hold the chicken and eggs, but I didn't realize the entire dish was tossed in fish sauce. However, I was able to have them hold the fish sauce in addition to the eggs (and chicken). It was still really delicious, but I definitely missed the fish sauce. The noodles just get stuck together, and it's much drier without it, but I like my Pad Thai spicy, which I think helped.

Pad Thai
I also had Chipotle, which is always amazing. I ordered a burrito bowl with rice, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and salsa. I  really wanted guacamole, but I'm not allowed to have avocados as I have to keep my fat intake low. However, it was still beyond delicious.

Chipotle burrito bowl with chips and salsa
As you can tell, I've been eating well! I can't wait to continue cooking new meals and experiencing my favorite restaurants and cuisines in a whole new "vegan" light.

No comments:

Post a Comment